Joint problems can be caused by a number of issues. It can occur in any part of the body but is most common in the knees, shoulders and hips. The pain can range from mild to severe and may be accompanied by swelling and stiffness in one or more joints. Severe joint pain, especially when caused by degenerative conditions. You can get rid of mild joint pain with the help of natural ways.
Here are the top 10 home natural products for joint pain.
1. Massage. Massage therapy helps relieve joint pain by improving circulation and soothing inflammation. In fact, several studies indicate that regular massage can improve pain, stiffness and range of motion in the affected joint. To massage the affected area, use warm oil like coconut, olive, mustard, castor or garlic oil and apply gentle pressure while massaging.
2. Hot and Cold Compresses. Alternating hot and cold compresses can also help ease joint pain. Heat therapy helps decrease pain, increase blood flow and relax sore muscles and joints. Cold therapy reduces inflammation and numbs the areas around the affected joint. Wrap both compresses in separate towels before using them. They should not be applied directly to the skin. Place the hot compress on the affected area for about three minutes. Remove the compress and immediately put a cold compress in its place for about one minute. Repeat the process for 15 to 20 minutes a few times daily until you get relief. Note: Do not use heat therapy if the affected area is red, hot and irritated. Do not use cold therapy if you have circulatory problems.
3. Fenugreek. Fenugreek is a popular home herb for joint pain due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is particularly beneficial for those suffering from joint problems. Swallow one teaspoon of finely ground fenugreek seeds followed by a glass of lukewarm water. Do this daily in the morning until you get positive results.Alternatively, you can simply soak one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight and eat them the next morning.
4. Turmeric. Turmeric is an excellent herb for joint pain. It contains an active ingredient called curcumin with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar. Apple cider vinegar helps reduce joint pain by eliminating accumulated toxins from the joints and connective tissues. Due to its alkalizing effect, it is particularly beneficial for those suffering from joint problems. Plus, it is rich in minerals like magnesium, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
6. Cayenne. Cayenne pepper contains a compound called capsaicin with natural analgesic or pain-relieving properties. Slightly heat one-half cup of coconut oil. Mix in two tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder. Apply it on the affected area, leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off. Do this a few times a day until you get relief from the pain.
7. Epsom Salt. Epsom salt baths facilitate easy absorption of magnesium through the skin. Joint pain is often associated with low levels of magnesium. Moreover, magnesium helps reduce inflammation and aids in detoxification of cells.
8. Garlic. Being rich in sulfur and selenium, garlic is beneficial for those suffering from joint pain. Sulfur helps relieve joint pain and inflammation and, according to research, selenium may have an antirheumatic effect.
9. Ginger. Ginger is an excellent natural product for muscle and joint pain, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Researchers studied its effects on joint problems patients with knee pain and saw encouraging results.
10. Stinging Nettle. Exploratory studies indicate that stinging nettle can be useful therapy for joint pain without any major side effects. Though the exact reason as to why it alleviates the problem is not known, it is believed that this herb contains active compounds that reduce inflammation. Plus, it is rich in boron, a mineral that is required for healthy bones and joints.